Main Article Content
It is known from the scholarly literature that the concept of the façade of Janashia Museum of Georgia (arch. N. Severov), widely recognized as a successful case of modern „re-animation“ of the medieval national architecture, was elaborated in 1923. However, as was ascertained, it was actually proposed in 1920, by the initiative of G. Chubinashvili and, thus, strivings begun in the Independence Period (1918-1921) were continued in the Soviet time. It seems most likely that, under the altered circumstances, keeping silent about what was given birth in the previous period, was one of the ways of obtaining a possibility of continuing cultural work that had already begun.
The fact that Museum façade was considered to indicate the „content“ of the building as a depository of the national past, its legacy, is confirmed by the following: its predecessor, Classicistic building (arch. A. Zaltsmann and L. Bielfeld) connected the Caucasus with the Classical Antique world, while the „Muslim“ appearance of the one planned in 1910s (arch. M. Neprintsev) – with the „Russian Orient“ in general.